As moms, coffee is part of our day. Those precious early mornings and late nights of parenting require a lot of energy, especially for new moms. Most of the time, we need to be awake and alert. This is why it’s safe to say that apparently, parenting and coffee go hand-in-hand.
What moms get from coffee:
- A bit of a relaxation time
The convenience of a quick cup of coffee may help us get through a busy day. It’s a much-needed stress relief from a day’s mess.
- Health benefits
All the antioxidants found in coffee provides protection for the body against heart problems, mood disorders, and immune system malfunction.
- Superb taste and energy booster.
Coffee delivers a flavorful aroma and exquisite taste. Apart from this, it can make us a lot more productive especially when you drink it right.
But on these hot summer days, can we still enjoy our coffee? The answer is yes! Cold brew can do the trick. You don’t need to go to a fancy coffee shop to get your cup of cold brew. Make your own batch at home. Here’s how!
Cold Brew Recipe”
This coffee-making method excretes great coffee flavor form the beans through slow infusion. To achieve your smooth and refreshing iced coffee, follow these three easy steps:
- Make sure your coffee beans are coarsely ground. You can do this yourself or have it done when you buy the beans.
- Next, combine the coarsely ground coffee with water (filtered water is best) and let is steep overnight, ideally 10-12 hours depending on how strong you want it to be. (The longer the hours, the stronger it gets!)
- Strain, mix with milk or cream, and pour over ice.
More useful tips:
- You can make a larger batch of cold brew and stash it in the fridge for an accessible coffee mix all week long.
- Adjust the concentration of your cold brew by starting with 1 cup of beans steeped in 3-4 cups of water, adjust it up or down to get the intensity you desire.
- Like it sweeter? Add sugar to the steeping mix to sweeten the whole batch, or simple syrup to individual cups. For a sugar-free sweetener, try Stevia as a natural, no calorie option!
Aside from being a parent, we also have other daily tasks that lead to exhaustion; our jobs, chores at home, etc. Parenting can be a joy, but there will be hard days. For me, coffee can make even the most tiring days a little bit better. So, if I can’t find time to make a batch of cold brew at home, I make sure to get one from my local café. There’s nothing wrong with getting a few minutes to ourselves. As moms, we deserve a cup of coffee and all the benefits it can deliver. So, cheers to awesome and fab days this summer!
Need to take the kids with you on that coffee break? Try these other kooky Portland coffee shops!